Saturday, November 3, 2012

Thoughts on Ichthyosis: A Mother Worries

It has been a year today since I gave birth. I knew the very same day that my newborn had hints of Ichthyosis on his skin. Hubby told me it was too soon to tell. But I knew. When I held my baby he had the softest skin, yet he had too many lines on the soles of his tiny feet and his little fingers had deep lines already.


I wasn't sad, I braced myself for this, but I was worried. I can live with the thought of my son having hyperlinear palms, hyperlinear feet and deep lines on his neck. I am at least hoping he won't have the flaking and the severe shedding that I have. I was hoping that he would take after his father- dark skinned and hairy with no Ichthyosis in sight.

Due to Ichthyosis, I have no hairs on my legs, the hairs are curled up stuck inside the pores which makes my skin look like "prickly chicken skin with dandruff" on most days. I do not wish for my baby, the ridicule I endured because of this skin condition. I do not wish for him, the itchiness, the soreness of the skin on cold months or spending days fully covered, hiding his hands away from the world. I guess any mom with a rare genetic skin condition would wish the best for her child. Well, it has been a year, so far no flakes on my little baby. I hope it stays that way. 

5 comments:

  1. The best way for Treatment of Ichthyosis is to soak the skin in lukewarm water and then slather your still damp skin with a cream moisturizer. You can add epsom salts or add moisturizers like colloidal oatmeal to your bath; salts and moisturizers help your skin absorb the water and lock in the moisture more successfully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog through researching about eczema and some mention of hyper linear palms leading to icthyosis. In my family, we all have the wrinkly hands, it’s a badge of honor. We check the baby’s hands and are so in love to see the wrinkles that his uncle, grandfather, etc, have. We never knew! It was never put together with how our legs are or anything like that.

    I’m glad your baby hasn’t had trouble, we’ve had a bit of trouble from the ichthyosis, but much more from eczema. My husband has eczema and I think the mix of the two skin conditions has lead to some allergy problems. My ninth baby has had severe eczema for seven months. He’s now been diagnosed with food allergies. I think it’s interesting that the protective layer of skin is compromised in each of these conditions, and that we haven’t had such an explosion of allergies until now.. I was also very lucky to be ignorant of the possible problems from the ichthyosis and eczema. Its a long road, having a baby with skin problems.

    Thanks for the thoughts on your blog! I relate to some of them for sure! I hope the baby’s skin is still beautiful! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. is there any way i can contact the mom who posted this? my child has ichtyosis as well and i need some people to talk to. thankyou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there you can email me milkmanila [at] gmail [dot]com - my baby's ichthy is not severe, only in certain spots on his legs and feet. However, I've met a mom with a son with severe ichthyosis and the care is costly and depends on the severity of it.

      Delete
  4. wonderful, interesting, and informative. this blog is awesome
    skin doctor in Bangalore

    ReplyDelete