Thursday, July 28, 2011

Some Thoughts on Ichthyosis

"Wear it like armor and it can never be used to hurt you. ”
— Tyrion Lannister to Jon Snow, George R.R. Martin, Game of Thrones

I honestly wouldn't mind living with this skin condition if the kids and adults around me growing up weren't so cruel. It's a skin condition that's not disabling or painful (unlike other skin conditions that are very severe) Ichthyosis Vulgaris (the one I have) is pretty mild and tolerable, but just the same psychologically upsetting. I don't know if it varies in degree of severity per person. But I'm sure the severity of the psychological scars varies on people struggling with this condition.

I've met some people as life went on who had that flaking and molting going on their skins, but alas not entirely in the sisterhood of Ichthyosis Vulgaris, but more on psoriasis, eczema, some form of seasonal molting due to atopic dermatitis, etc. So I was pretty much alone.

Things only get better as you get older because by then you get to understand the Whys and the What-Nows. Eventually you learn how to deal with it, emotionally you get to develop a thicker hide just to fend off the teasing and cruelty directed at you.

No comments:

Post a Comment